Thursday, July 08, 2004

Paranoid?
Well let's just say creeped out. I have been using this gmail account for a few weeks now and since I am too lazy to bookmark it I just search for it each time. It is always the first search result but I have been noticing another result a few results down called Gmail is too creepy. I finally got curious enough to check it out and that lead me to see the rest of Google Watch. They tell of the Google cookie and how it does not expire till 2038. They mention that Google hires ex-NSA (national security agency) and others with high security clearance. Basically what I see is that Google wants to "search" your (my) email and search terms that I use on the Google search engine and use them to profile me. Now I don't REALLY care all that much about being advertised to. Granted I really don't need to want more stuff as my current list of things I want could bankrupt a small country. But what about the OTHER stuff it could be used for? What about custom tailored insurance, what about sliding scale pricing based on how much YOU want things. Anyway I am a concerned about the direction this data mining is going and I will be keeping an eye on it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home