Wednesday, May 04, 2005

engineering
A friend of mine and I have been pretending that we are engineers (not choo-choo engineers). We make lots of coffee and stay up real late solving engineering problems. We dress up in white button down shirts with short sleeves and imagine that we have short-cropped haircuts. Then one of us comes in and describes a situation that will require a safe solution at a reasonable construction cost and yet is pleasing to the eye. It is fun and totally pointless. A complete waste of time other than to take a vacation from ourselves for a few hours. Neither one of us would even want to be an engineer for a living and that is where the fun comes in. I realized some time ago that I don’t want to do anything that I really enjoy for a living. Insane? Maybe. I think that doing things that other people have to do is fun as long as no one expects me to do them. For example, I get to work really early and I like it. But if someone sad I had to I would be pissed. I like to make three dimensional models of objects in computers using polygons or NURBS surfaces. But when I did it for a living I hated it. It has taken me a while, but I now have a job that I don’t mind (most of the time). I don’t love it, but that’s cool, I don’t hate it either and I have ended up hating all of the jobs that were based on stuff I like doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home